Taskbar Size Correction after uninstall in Vista

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Nice idea.  Unfortunately it didn't work much.  Even less fortunate is the fact that after uninstalling the taskbar has remained at double height and there's no possible way I can figure out to restore the taskbar to it's original size.  Its unlocked, there's no menu's and it will resize just not smaller.  Any help correcting this annoying problem that your program has caused would be appreciated.

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I don't know what is wrong but it seems is your windows trouble! As you can see many users (1444 so far) was download it and no one has ever report Vista  was become unstable or about similar to your problem!

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Well, regardless, it did messed up my taskbar! how do i fix it?

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2009 at 6:12 AM

I cant help with that since  is not SBar the reason of that!

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:40 AM

DimitarCC,

The latest version has fucked up my system.  Not only does it show any icons, but after uninstalling, I can't see a single damn thing on my taskbar.  No tasks are showing up at all.  I hope you fix this immediately.  After uninstalling, I would assume that it would be okay!  But it isn't.  So you better look into this quick.

I thought newer versions are to be less buggy?  But this one is even worse.

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2009 at 7:46 AM

First of All it seems you dont read other post here in one of them i said that buttons that not show is fixed like that:

1. After install SBar go to Options dialog

2. Hit "reset" button

3. hit "Apply" and "OK"

Buttons must show up!

Before to says SBar is Buggy please first look at another post and read another people problems and solutions!

Second as this is free and open source software everyone can modify the code so to make it better!

If you want not bugs at all then give a donation or i will make that software closed source and Shareware and then you can expect no bugs!

Sorry for hard tone but i dont like when someone says SBar or any other software is buggy before to read all comments or to try to find  a solution first!

In many post and comment here or in deviantart.com or in winmatrix.com i says is recommended first after instal new version to hit Reset button so the settings to be initialized since in every new version new things show up! But there must be someone to read first and ask them!

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I appreciate you doing what you're doing.  What I didn't expect was that after an uninstall it would still be messed up.  I had to reinstall the old version to get my taskbar back correctly.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:14 AM

Your program resized my taskbar, it had some issues with errors (couldn't change settings without unhandled exceptions) so I decided to uninstall.  After uninstalling it did not restore my taskbar to it's origninal size and there is no possible way to do so by hand.  How is this not related to your program when it was a direct result of it's use?  Would it be too much to ask for your uninstallation to restore the taskbar to it's original size and state (as expected)?  Do you have any recommendation for how to restore it's size in another way?  I have read every page i can find related to the issue and tried every fix/tip I could find.  It's not related to the toolbars ( such as a toolbar taking up two rows ), they have all been corrected and tweaked repeatedly and even when all toolbars are removed I still cannot shrink it to single-row.  This means there must be a setting that was changed that needs changed back.  How does your program resize it?  Do you change any registry settings or anything?  I know MS did a crappy job with their taskbar in the first place and its glitchy as it is, and I appreciate your offering an alternative.  But it wouldn't work for me so now I just want to get things back to normal.  Could you please look into this.

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2009 at 6:21 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2009 at 6:24 AM

I repeat my program DO NOT resize taskbar in any way! NO registry changes, NO hacks! Only pure API code! You can try to fix your problem by installing the version 1.041 go to options dialog and no matter it will rise an exception just hit Reset, Apply and OK buttons! I think that can be done with 1.050 version too! Then exit and restart SBar! I really dont understand your problem!

P.S. dont forget start SBar with administrative rights in Vista!(or you will get an exceptions)

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2009 at 6:28 AM

P.S. after 2 days new version of SBar will come out! I hope that version will fix the problems!

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:28 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2009 at 8:14 AM

"I repeat my program DO NOT resize taskbar"

Well, it still did.  It must have made it larger to fit the larger icons it uses.  If not, then it did it for some other reason, maybe something to do with the quicklaunch toolbar or something, I really don't know.  I reinstalled SBar and tried reset, but it doesn't change the size back, which makes sense if it wasn't SUPPOSED to have changed it. Either way it still DID change it for whatever reason and I still can't fix it.  This is extremely frustrating.  I may end up using API myself to attempt to force-fix it (if possible), but I don't really have time for all this as it is.

Edit:  I think I may have narrowed down the cause.  When playing with the SBar options, if you show both the SBar icons AND the regular taskbar items it placed them on different rows, but only the first time its ran. After restarting SBar they are overlayed on the same row.  This must have been the cause because at no point in time did I ever manually resize it and this is how your program did cause it to resize.  Also after selecting 'show numbers' and restarting, the icons were reduced to normal size, but It still won't let the taskbar go back to single-row in size though.

Additional Note: Just to let you know I always ran the program as administrator and there were many unhandled acceptions, such as when opening the options, clicking ok, hovering over a thumbnail, and others.  Those were the reasons I called it unstable (perhaps just "bugged" would have been more appropriate, sorry) and chose to uninstall.  I just don't like using programs with annoying errors popping up repeatedly.  I understand many of the errors are being addressed and I look forward to future versions.  Also, I am an experienced developer with 16 years of programming experience, so I'm very familiar with API and windows  in general, so this isn't just some simple "uncheck lock toolbar" issue.  I wish it were something that simple.

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2009 at 8:01 AM

i CANT reproduce your bug in my PC or in any PC i use in my home or in my office! Ifi cant reproduce ti i cant fix it!

When both enabled original taskbar and SBar in my PC it just overlap the icons but never show on 2 rows!

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I guess the lesson here is that I shouldn't have installed the program on an OS that isn't fully supported.  Even though it was advertised as "For XP and Vista" and as you said no one else had the problem.   Thanks anyways, I guess I'm on my own then.   Also btw I was able to reproduce the 'both orginal taskbar and sbar on different rows' three times now, but maybe thats because of it being stuck at double-height.  Oh well, I give up.  I guess I'm just stuck with a larger taskbar.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Angryuser,

Have you tried changing the theme style?  Or maybe your taskbar is viewing "large icons".  This may be the case.  To change it, unlock your taskbar and have the "quick launch" toolbar open.  Right click the separator and try changing it back.

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:44 PM
Edited Aug 7, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes I have tried changing the style.  All toolbars are set to small icons.  I also tried changing to classic windows appearance and so on...  Still no luck.   I have made some posts in more appropriate forums, since I seem to be the only one with this problem here.  Hopefully they can help me work this out, and I'll stop flooding your site now.  :P