Skin Development

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Share ideas about Skins and even post your skins!

Developer
Jun 18, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Hello,

First of all, I absolutely love your SBar application. The fact that it can support skinning and contains alot more features than ViGlance have me wanting to integrate this app into my desktop.

Currently, I'm trying to create a skin that would go nicely with my current visual style. However there are a few things that would be very nice if included in the next version of SBar so I may complete my skin:

- the ability to display menus and previews at the bottom of the taskbar

- change text font and color for titles

Also, I'm having trouble figuring out how to skin the right-click menu.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Hi!

I am glad you like my app! :) Thanks!

First of all  i want to ask do you use my app on XP?

If you use on XP from the right click menu can be skin:

- the transparent background (it uses same background like background for thumbnail previews)

- the mouse hover graphic over right click items

- the pin graphics

unfortunately other aspects from the listview cant be skin for now because it uses the colors from the operating system

Maybe in one of next build i will include option for change more aspects from the skin and ofcource ability to decide position of menus and previews :)

If you have more ideas please feel free to share them with me! Thanks!

Developer
Jun 19, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Hey

I am using XP, and I just discovered why the background for the right-click menu is not the same as the one for my thumbnail. Apparently, I copied the Aero folder and renamed it into my own skin name, however your program still reads the background image (44.png) from the Aero folder.

I also compiled a list of what each images represent in the skin folder for reference: 

6.png - Single Program Base
3.png - Single Program Over
7.png - Single Program Select
8.png - Single Program Flash

13.png - Double Programs Base
5.png - Double Programs Over
15.png - Double Programs Select
17.png - Double Programs Flash

9.png - Multiple Programs Base
4.png - Multiple Programs Over
14.png - Multiple Programs Select
16.png - Multiple Programs Flash

44.png - Menu/Thumbnail Preview Background
12.png - Grouped Tasks Item Base
11.png - Grouped Tasks Item Select
11f.png - Grouped Tasks Item Flash

18.png - Opened Application Indicator BG
22.png - Close Button
30.png - Thumbnail Preview Item BG

Explorer32.png - 32px Custom Icon for Explorer
Explorer48.png - 48px Custom Icon for Explorer

Pin.png - Pin Button Over
PinClear.png - Pin Button Base

UnPin.png - Unpin Button Over
UnPinClear.ping - Unpin Buton Base

It's not complete, but I hope you can clarify what the other images are for.

Finally, I wonder if you can add two behaviors for no-thumbnail preview option: having the usual single click menu display on hover, and a tooltip on hover for the single task buttons. Although I never actually used the Superbar from Win7, I thought it would make sense that way.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM
Edited Jun 19, 2009 at 8:22 AM

I will read more clear you explination and answer you today as soon as possible! Now i just want to say that if you want to change the folder from which the app read graphics you have to right click on systray icon and the options...in options screen the is a combo box "Skin". there must be listed your custom skin (if you was put it in different folder inside Skins directory)

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2009 at 8:52 AM

i was read your list with image meanings and now i will make it more complete ;)

6.png - Single Program Base
3.png - Single Program Over
7.png - Single Program Select
8.png - Single Program Flash

13.png - Double Programs Base
5.png - Double Programs Over
15.png - Double Programs Select
17.png - Double Programs Flash

9.png - Multiple Programs Base
4.png - Multiple Programs Over
14.png - Multiple Programs Select
16.png - Multiple Programs Flash

44.png - Menu/Thumbnail Preview Background
12.png - Grouped Tasks Item Base
11.png - Grouped Tasks Item Select
11f.png - Grouped Tasks Item Flash

18.png - Opened Application Indicator BG
22.png - Close Button
30.png - Thumbnail Preview Item BG - MUST NOT be changed becasue i use it for template for some graphics

Explorer32.png - 32px Custom Icon for Explorer
Explorer48.png - 48px Custom Icon for Explorer

Pin.png - Pin Button Over
PinClear.png - Pin Button Base

UnPin.png - Unpin Button Over
UnPinClear.ping - Unpin Buton Base

1.png - mouse hover graphic on rightclick menu items (only for XP)

2.png -  MUST NOT be changed becasue i use it for template for some graphics

PopUp.png - not used (i will clean it in next version)

PopUp2.png - not used (i will clean it in next version)

20.png - not used (i will clean it in next version)

21.png - not used (i will clean it in next version)

ButtonAS.png  - not used (i will clean it in next version)

ButtonASm.png - not used (i will clean it in next version)

ButtonASu.png - not used (i will clean it in next version)

Explorer32.png - for explorer taskbar button icon

Explorer48.png - not used (i will clean it in next version)

menu2.png - form flashing app thumbnail background

menu1.png - not used (i will clean it in next version)

folder.png - not used (i will clean it in next version)

10.png - not used (i will clean it in next version)

18.png - for count badge bakground (if "Show number" in options screen is checked)

About 2-way behaviour - yes i think good idea. i will implement :)

If you have questions please dont hesitate to ask! :)

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I would like to mention the chance to start with windows, and above all to integrate it with the taskbar, because when you enlarge a window icons generated with this software does not disappear under the window, but remain in the foreground. Also, in some previews icone.Infine leaving only the options window is narrow and is not showing everything. Regards

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Option window is fixed now!

About large icons (48x48) its not supported and will not be supported since original size is (32x32).

About button dissapear when SBar start - yes i know about it. its trouble with API calls and window parameters! For now no fix!

Start with windows is planned and will be added in next version. If you like now to start with windows just make a shortcut of SBar.exe to your Startup folder is start menu!

Developer
Jun 19, 2009 at 7:12 PM

About the skin option, I did choose my skin folder in the option window. However it is still reading 44.png from the Aero skin folder for the right-click menu background (the background for the thumbnail is the correct one from my skin folder).

One more suggestion is that you should break the background image into pieces (ie: one for each edge) so that you don't simply stretch it and lose quality of the image.

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 5:20 AM

I already break the image on peaces inside my code! And dont strech it!

About alwyas reading 44.png from aero folder...hmm very strange is not possible since your other images are read correct! Can you send me a preview?

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 5:28 AM
Edited Jun 20, 2009 at 5:56 AM

I was try on my PC and image is read from the selected folder in Options dialog! So everything is OK here! If you can post screens from your 2 skins loaded i want to see the difference!

Please note that PNG's must be 32bit with alpha channel! Otherwise will not be loaded!

If you have a suggestion about procedure for break and make new image in C# you are welcome! My procedure working but i dont know why stretch the borders so far!

Developer
Jun 20, 2009 at 5:43 AM
Edited Jun 20, 2009 at 5:43 AM

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v304/handofra/?action=view&current=44-issue.png

I hope this explains the problem.

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 6:09 AM

Thanks! Now i understand and i was fixed the problem! If you like i can send you a fixed exe! Just tell me e-mail or something! Thanks!! :)

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Look here http://sbar.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=23171

There is attached a new unofitial version of SBar! Notice the new "skin.ini" in Aero and Aero16 folders! There you can change fonts and colors and position of thumbnail preview window (for now only trhere)

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM
please help me !
[IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/king_cfc/1-7.png[/IMG]
Thank you !
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM
Edited Jun 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM

With what version that happened?

With the unofitial version?

If so please notice that in your skin folder you MUST have "skin.ini" file!

If not with unofitial version please tell me at what moment that happened?

Please as soon as you check that report what is going on! Thanks!

In the link i was mention before you can download last version! Inside the RAR is the exe and also the 2 skins folders. inside them is skin.ini! You can just copy it in your skin folder

Also when you copy Aero and Aero16 folders dont forget to copy them inside Skins folder ;)

in the Rar is a simple update so you have to copy the things in the appropriate folders ;)

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Oh ! sorry , i'm using version 1025

Everything is  good when i copy the files which u sent  me into program files/Sbar

Thank you very much  !!!!!!! :D

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:27 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2009 at 5:11 AM

Can you add blur effect to preview of taskbar? 

can you increase quality of 44.PNG ?

Now  it is surely better than viglance,winstep

Developer
Jun 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Hey,

I was testing your unofficial version, and I just want to make sure if the app do read from skin.ini because it doesn't seem to be working. I also wonder where does SBar save its options.

There's a minor bug that need fixing: if you click an item, and then right-click the same item, the menus will overlap.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2009 at 5:13 AM

//Can you add blur effect to preview of taskbar? 

can you increase quality of 44.PNG ( 64 bit,86 bit ....) or  make it look like Winstep ?

Now  it is surely better than viglance,winstep//

Blur is available only in Vista! In Xp is not possible so far! Maybe it need heave code to do that! I dont know will that be implemented for XP!

About quality of 44.png... what you mean 64bit? I can increase DPI or resolution but becasue that png is resize and resanple by code it will not much change!

I need new procedure for resize and resample.....maybe in some of other versions!

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2009 at 5:14 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2009 at 5:18 AM

Hey,

I was testing your unofficial version, and I just want to make sure if the app do read from skin.ini because it doesn't seem to be working. I also wonder where does SBar save its options.

There's a minor bug that need fixing: if you click an item, and then right-click the same item, the menus will overlap.

Thanks.

Ahh yes Skin.ini is working but for now onptions are ONLY for thumbnail preview window! I was test it in Vista and XP and its working! Must be located in Skin folder (for example "Aero" folder) and you just change the values and you can immedately see the difference! for example change YAlligment in [TASKBARPREVIEW] section will make possition of thumbnail preview to change! Try it and tell me is it working!

Ahh and thank you for the bug! Its really happen! i will fix it! :)

Developer
Jun 21, 2009 at 7:47 AM

No, skin.ini is not working for me. I changed the text colour to 255 and it did not turn white. Changing the other options also didn't make a difference.
Can you send me the whole entire folder again? Maybe I am missing something, or the unofficial build did not have the feature implemented.

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM
Edited Jun 21, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Ok try again the attached file on http://sbar.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=23171

Its the full version! Just copy in separate folder and then try!

The seetings of SBar is located in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local for vista (sbar.ini)

and C:\Documents and settings\<user>\local settings\application data (Sbar.ini)

the Sbar.ini must look like this:

[Main]
XPos=60
TaskbarHide=1
YPos=966
Count=1
TrackBarThu=200
ThuSize=200
Skin=Aero
WorkAreaRes=0
InTaskbar=1
DisableThu=0

Developer
Jun 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Ok I finally got my skin.ini working on your new version. Be sure to allow the title from the click-menu to be changed too.

Another bug have been discovered: if you keep clicking on an item, the menu will be duplicated (overlapping itself).

Also, the new version contains an error pop-up when closed.

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2009 at 8:43 AM

I was fix the overlapping menu but i dont get error here! when you exactly get it?

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I was upload a new unoffitial.... same place. Download and check if there is a errors! Thanks!

Soon will be add otter things in Skin.ini ;)

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I'm sorry for requesting so much from u, but i want to have a perfect version .Can you add some functions such as:

_ Changing the lenght and the width of the inside photo (red border) independently of the background photo "44.PNG" (white border)

- Add mouseover effect like windows 7

You can see these pictures

[IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/king_cfc/untitled-8.png[/IMG]

( I'm not good at english ^_^ )

Thank you !!!!!!

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:13 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM

It will be wonderful if you can make the "options " like this

[IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/king_cfc/Untitled-1copy.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/king_cfc/Untitled-1copy-1.png[/IMG]

Developer
Jun 21, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I found out that the error is caused by missing the Thumb folder. Apparently you did not include the Thumb folder on the latest release, and the app still need to read from it.

And thanks for the fixes!

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2009 at 6:27 AM

Yes! Sorry for that! Just i was use on Vista and there Thumb folder is not needed so i was unable to catch that error! I will fix it for next alpha! :)

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Please help me

Can not install version 1030  : " This program requires Windows NT version 5.01.2600 ServicePack 3 or later "

Is Windows NT version 5.01.2600 Sp3  the Windows Xp Sp 3 ?

Can you give me download link of Windows NT 5.01.2600 ?

[IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/king_cfc/untitled-9.jpg[/IMG]

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I'm  using Windows Xp Sp 2 ==> can not install Sbar 1030

Can you send me new Skin folder (Aero 7) ? Thank you!

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2009 at 1:07 PM

You need to install Service Pack 3 of Windows XP so SBar to can work. (yes Windows NT version 5.01.2600 Sp3 is Windows XP SP3)

You can do that via XP automatic update or as a standalone download form the microsoft site http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx

I was limited usage on SP3 only because SP2 casues some issues with graphics and API. If you have legal XP you must not have problems updating to SP3 ;)

Aero7 folder you can find in http://sbar.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/55391 there you can download the source code and after download inside you can find the Aero7 folder :)

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Any way to remove the icon spacings?  Looks like 2-3 pixels between each icon.  Would like to create a skin with 0 icon spacing.