Sidebar Replacement Ideas

Coordinator
May 16, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Share ideas for implementing in SBar. ;)

May 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Several tasklists, and filtering for minimized apps

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009 at 5:26 AM

Ummm give some more explination please! Thanks! You mean jumplists? and what mean filtering for minimized apps?

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:38 PM
Edited Jun 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Sorry for my english... For example, minimized MSN windows can live on another "taskbar", I mean several taskbars.

Another idea is to show thumbnails instead icons for minimized apps. Not like Win7, in WinVista and Win7 the thumb show only on mouse over, I like a taskbar with minimized thumbnails windows.

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Yes i understand now what you mean! Now the second instance of SBar cant be running! Only one instance is allowed!

And about thumbnail about minimized windows .... ummm i didnt think about that! But i will see what can do and maybe in next release ;)

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Testing sbar on Windows Vista without explorer shell... Im using SharpEnviro shell. Sbar works, but thumbsnail dont (I dont have Aero) and have some slow issues but the app works ;)

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2009 at 5:16 AM

Yes on Vista without Aero thumbnails will not work! Thumbnail use DWM manager in Vista that is only available on systems with Aero enabled! Ya maybe there is slow issues.....i was test on fast mashine so far but on more skow mashines maybe will be show issues.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Add these features that are in windows 7:

when you right click on the show desktop button,there is an option that you can click to use aero peek.

and the ability to left click and drag up on a taskbar button to bring up jumplists.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:56 AM

Just tried SBar and think it is a great app and look forward to new updates, just a couple of things.

An option to hide the icon in the noticfication area and also an option to change the speed of the popup window on the taskbar.

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM

The speed of Thumbnail popup option is added already! It will be available in next version. About hiding trayicon yes thatcan be done!

The option about aeropeak will be added when aeropeak function is available

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:00 PM

DimitarCC

I have noticed another thing that needs sorting out.

When changing the position of the icons on the taskbar to get them in the right position, the bar at the end where the notification icons are also moves which is putting it out of place.

I think there should be another option to either move it on it's own so it is not linked to the icons and/or an option to not have it shown up. 

Other than that it is great and keep up with the good work.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Edited Jul 11, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Hi,

I love SBar! I look forward to the next version (the faster thumbnail popups).

Another suggestion:  Add ability to re-position the taskbar icons.

Also, have an exclude list...  I have a program I wrote which doesn't display a taskbar icon, but SBar puts one on the taskbar anyway...

Thanks for the hard work!

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Exclude list will be added in next versions. About repositioning...hmmm i will see what i can do! But honestly i dont think that is a feature that is many necessary!

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:21 PM

1.  Implementing any folder to be pinned (via explorer) rather than from the recent list (which doesn't even work properly or doesn't show the ones I want).

2.  Being able to right click on a thumbnail and choosing the properties (enable pin).

3.  Organization of pinned items.

4.  Being able to pin web sites.

5.  Faster thumbnail speed (as already mentioned).

6.  Thumbnail icons should correspond with the folder/drive, etc.

7.  There is no close all for multiple explorers being opened.

8.  Where there is a program loaded, under commands, it seems like the close all option is cut-off or completely missing in some.

That's all I can think of.  Thanks DemitarCC for the program so far.  This has a lot of potential.  Just needs some minor fixing.  Especially the speed.

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2009 at 5:58 AM

1.  Implementing any folder to be pinned (via explorer) rather than from the recent list (which doesn't even work properly or doesn't show the ones I want). - They work correct just it CANT work like in windows 7 because 7 is specially designed for that and applications are specially designed for windows 7

2.  Being able to right click on a thumbnail and choosing the properties (enable pin). - maybe implement

3.  Organization of pinned items. - there is organization of pinned items in options dialog (reorder pinned items)

4.  Being able to pin web sites. - the idea of SBar is not to be a quick launch replacement

5.  Faster thumbnail speed (as already mentioned). - Thumbnails work much faster on Vista (XP will be fixed later)

6.  Thumbnail icons should correspond with the folder/drive, etc. - will be implemented

7.  There is no close all for multiple explorers being opened. - there is Close All in ALL situations (Maybe there is font missing or trouble with your system)

8.  Where there is a program loaded, under commands, it seems like the close all option is cut-off or completely missing in some. - on my machine not that problem

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM

1.  Okay.  But like I said I still can't pin specific folders, only whatever is on the recent list list which is not the ones I want.

2.  Thanks!  What about an option of changing the taskbar icon?  Who wants the default internet explorer anyway?  I don't know if you are able to do that because it is associated with the exe file rather than a shortcut.  However, I believe if you are able to change the icon, this will become even bigger as a lot of people would like to use their own icons for specific programs.

3.  The organization options is only available to show the order of the programs in the taskbar.  What about organizatin of pinned items from a list?  Any setting the number of recent items to a specific amount?  Sometimes people would like the top 5 or 10.

4.  That's fine.

5.  Vista Business, 2.5 seconds to load the thumbnail.  Would like to see it immediately.

6.  Awesome.

7&8.  I am using a different skin; however, it should not effect the window pop-up.  Most programs do show the close all, however, for eg. if you have Autocad, it is not there.  Most microsoft programs have it, messenger, office, etc.  But not in explorer (which is a big one).  And it is cut-off when it does show up.  I can show you a screenshot if you would like to see.

So far, loving the program.  What I would love to see is being able to customize the icon on the taskbar though.  As most people who are you using your program, or any other in fact, is being able to customize.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I would like a way to use the old Vista context menu. I really don't like the jumplists.

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:34 PM

One thing I think should be improved in SBar is the speed of the right click menu..it can be quite slow and buggy.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM
Edited Aug 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM

About Mouseover Effect . (Size of Menu3.png)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/king_cfc/untitled-10.png

Can you change it ? Please !

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2009 at 5:26 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.